Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Final Countdown

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry about that. Things have been so busy here! (and I have had computer troubles, so I opt to just stay off my computer rather than fight with it) Things have also been great here. There's probably a lot that I should catch you up on, but I just want to talk about this week.


This week is my last one here, which is totally crazy. I leave Mbale on Tuesday! Can you believe that? I sure can't. It feels like I just got here, but at the same time feels like I have been here forever. Weird. But I really can't believe it's really almost time for me to go home. I definitely have some mixed emotions that come with that reality. This week has been full of goodbyes, which really are no fun. Especially when I can't be sure if I will ever see any of these people again. That really breaks my heart.

Despite the tearful goodbyes, it has still been a great week. Friday was incredible. The whole team traveled up to Bududa for a farewell/grand opening party at PDI. That was easily my favorite day of this whole summer. Elizabeth made us a HUGE delicious lunch (definitely sad that I will never eat at the Zaale's again....they are the best cooks!). After lunch, all of the PDI nursery school students got dressed up in brand new school uniforms, and marched with us down the road to their new school. The kids carried their school chairs on their heads to move them from their old school (the Zaale's backyard) to their brand new school! That was so fun to see! They also sang the whole way there. So cute!

When we got to the turn-off where the school is, and I saw our brand new sign there to greet us, the reality of we had accomplished finally hit me. We had really done it. Besides the countless hours of planning and stressing, I had co-directed a huge fundraising effort, managed large amounts of money, bought all kinds of building materials, and worked for three days hauling mud to build walls. And now here it was. A finished school and more smiling faces than I could even count. There was a lot of stress and frustration that went into this project the last three months, but seeing it all come together so perfectly in the end was better than I ever could have dreamed. I started this summer with a huge fear that I would leave and feel that I hadn't really helped anyone all that much. This fear was definitely alleviated on Friday. I am beyond happy to be able to say that I played a part in providing a wonderful new school for some wonderful children. And after the grand opening celebration we had, I know that the work that we put into this school really is appreciated.

We make a great team!
Once we arrived at the school. The students and their parents gathered around outside while David welcomed everyone. He then invited his wife (a city counsel person), one of the directors of PDI, Hannah, and I up to the front to do the ceremonial ribbon cutting of our brand new school. I can't even describe that feeling to you. I felt beyond honored. You can bet there were tears.


After the ribbon cutting, everyone filed into the school for the program. The students came in and sang and danced for us, and they were absolutely wonderful. The songs also made me cry. They were so sweet! One song's chorus was "And we love you. We really love you. We shall never, never forget you." Yeah. Too precious. Cue the waterfalls. They were adorable. After they sang, David gave a little thank-you speech, as well as some other PDI officials. They were all so appreciative. I wish I had written some of it down, but I was a little too caught up in the moment. I think we have videos though. The whole thing was just really really nice. I was beyond happy. Such a great feeling!


My other favorite part of this week was today. Sunday. No shock there. This Sunday was especially great because my two favorite piano students, Dinah and Solomon, played in sacrament meeting! They have been working hard all summer, and a couple weeks ago Sam and I made the executive decision that they were ready to play in sacrament meeting. When I told them this, they were pretty unsure but agreed to do it anyway. I was a little nervous that I was pushing them into something that they didn't really want to do, until Solomon bore his testimony last Sunday. He told the entire congregation that he had been learning the piano and that his dream of playing in church was finally coming true. That was just the greatest thing I've ever heard! We picked out songs for them and they practiced harder than they have all summer! I was blown away by the progress that they made in just a few days. By the time today came around, I wasn't the least bit nervous for them.

Dinah played "Choose the Right" for the opening song, and didn't miss a single note in all three verses! Then Solomon played "In Humility Our Savior" for the sacrament song. He also played it perfectly. And had a cute little grin on his face the whole time he was playing. I could not stop smiling. Also crying. I felt like the proudest parent. After sacrament, I hugged and hugged them, and they asked me to help them pick songs to play next week. That was so great to hear! I am so happy that the Mbale branch now has some very capable piano players to take over after Sam has left. And they are so happy to do it! Solomon and I picked out a song for him to play next week, and he said it looked hard but that it would be fine because the one he played today looked hard at the beginning too. Ahhh he is so great! This experience has given me such a great appreciation for my own sweet piano teacher, and I now understand -at least a little bit- what it's like to be a proud parent or teacher. It's just the best feeling.

Love them!
If it wasn't good enough, here is a little excerpt from a note that Dinah wrote me after church. "I had been playing the piano since I was 9 years. Oh it was a long time ago, but when you came I just loved playing the piano. It was also the first time I played in sacrament meeting. Am so grateful and I still call you 'my best piano teacher'." She is the sweetest. HATE that I have to leave these incredible people. But I'm glad for the small differences I have been able to make in their lives, and the HUGE differences they have made in my life. I am beyond grateful for their wonderful examples. I am so blessed to have been able to spend this time with these great people. But, it's not goodbye yet! I still have two days here!

Oh, also, we sang "A Child's Prayer" with the Primary kids in Sacrament meeting today. It was wonderful. And primary was wonderful. And I am so so sad to leave these cute kids!!




No comments:

Post a Comment